30 Eye Makeup Tips For Beginners
1. Hold your eye makeup brush in the middle of the handle.
Holding your brush closer to the bristles will make your look too harsh, and holding it too close to the end will make it harder for you to control where you’re placing the shadow. Right in the middle is the best place to to hold it.
2. Apply a white eyeshadow onto your eyelid to make brighter eyeshadow colours pop.
The white eyeshadow base will make colours like pink, green, and orange more vibrant when applied over top.
3. Darker colours should be applied on the outer corner of the eye, while lighter colours should be applied to the inner corner.
As a general rule, if you want to make your eyes appear larger and more almond-shaped, you should apply darker colours to the outer corner of your eye and work backwards; applying lighter shades to the inner third of your eye, finishing with a highlighter next to your tear duct.
4. Don’t forget to apply eyeshadow to the area below your eye.
This is just as important for pulling together your look. Use whatever shade you used on your crease for this area.
5. Eyelash curlers make all the difference.
Invest in a good eyelash curler and your lashes will look amazing no matter what mascara you’re using. My favourite is the Charming Bay Lashes.
6. In a pinch, you can make your own eyeliner by dampening a crease brush and dipping it in some black eyeshadow.
Sometime softer looks are nicer, and this look can be gently smudged to add some subtle sexiness.
7. Line your waterline with a skin coloured eyeliner pencil to make your eyes look more awake.
Fake 8 hours of sleep with a good flesh-coloured kohl along your lower lash line.
8. Angle your mascara brush outwards when applying for a sultry, winged-out effect.
Avoid coating your inner lashes and concentrate product towards the outer lashes, hooking them and lifting them outwards.
9. Use a stencil to nail your winger eyeliner.
There are loads of handy tutorials online that show you how easy it is to do winged eyeliner using a stencil; but our favourites are probably Sellotape and a business card, both of which will give you that sharp, straight edge. Wings on fleek every time!
10. Messily apply kohl to your lower lash line, let set, then gently wipe off with a cotton bud soaked in micellar water.
Why you ask? Because it makes a lovely, subtle no-makeup eyeliner effect that works because the remains of the kohl will still be lingering at the base of your lashes.
11. Clear mascara is your best friend.
Use it on your lashes and your brows.
12. Is your favourite mascara not waterproof?
Never fear! NYX has you sorted with their waterproof topcoat that you can apply over your usual mascara to keep it in place come rain or uh, more rain.
13. Warm up kohl to make sure it applies seamlessly.
If it feels too firm, warming it up using a lighter or match will help soften it.
14. When doing brows, always use light strokes.You’ll risk looking like your brows were drawn on with a Sharpie if you go in too heavy-handed with them. Better to take your time and go over the area with a light hand.
15. If you’re struggling with a smokey eye, this simple trick can help you.Draw a slanted hashtag onto the outer portion of your eye with the eye pencil or brush you’re using, and then blend it out. This works by dispersing the right amount of product onto the right area of your lid.
16. Make sure your crease brush isn’t too big.This is an easy mistake to make, and could be why your looks aren’t coming out quite right. Your brush should fit comfortably into the crease, but be fluffy enough to buff in shadows.
17. Glittery eyeshadow always needs a primer.They won’t adhere and last all day without a heavy-duty primer. Try Urban Decay’s Primer Potion for serious staying power.
18. The quality of your eyeshadow makes a huge difference in the end result.If your eyeshadow feels dry or chalky, it won’t blend well or last properly on your eyelid. Invest in brands like Morphe or Colourpop to ensure all that blending isn’t for nothing.
19. Remember that everyone’s eye shape is different.What works for you might not work for someone else; so play around until you figure out what works for you.
20. Your eyeshadow should cover your whole lid area, and come up as far as your brow highlight.And while we’re at it, make sure your brow highlight isn’t over the top. It should be just enough to define your brow arch and the underside of your brow.
21. Learn which colour combinations suit your eye colour best.Warm bronzy shades compliment blue eyes best, while green-eyed gals should look for purpley, lilac tones. For those with brown eyes, earthy greens will make your eyes pop the most.
22. For a truly remarkable curl, invest in a heated eyelash curlerThey make all the difference.
23. Use tweezers to apply false eyelashes.By far the easiest way to apply them.
24. When applying colour to your lid make sure you pat, rather than brush it on.‘Packing’ on base colours can also cause a lot of fall-out, so be sure to firmly pat the brush onto your lid rather than brushing it on.
25. Lower lash mascara doesn’t suit everyone.It can make your eyes appear smaller, so if it’s not for you then don’t worry! Focus on making your top lashes all the more volumised and defined.
26. Apply under eye concealer after you finish your eye makeup, but apply foundation before.Foundation will give your eyes a little bit of a base, but concealer will polish up the look and disguise under-eye bags. Try a concealer with peach or salmon tones to really camouflage your late nights.
27. Use kohl instead of liquid liner for a less dramatic, daytime look.Brown or black kohl applied along the upperlash line and gently blended out with your finger or a cotton bud instantly makes your lashes look fuller and your eyes look complete with minimal effort.
28. Leave kohl pencils in the freezer before sharpening them.This will ensure they don’t crumble when you sharpen them up.
29. Cream eyeshadows are a lazy girl’s best friend.Cream eyeshadows promise a polished, ‘I-spent-ages-blending-this’ look with just one swipe on your eyelid. Just apply, blend and go!
30. Have fun with it!Feel like adding bright green eyeliner? Why not? Yellow glitter? Sure! Makeup is meant to be about having fun and expressing yourself, so make sure you experiment and be creative with it.Navigation